Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 15:53:13 EDT
Roni says,

<< I've found growth spurts in a FT baby to be fairly predictable over the
 years.  About 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 mo. Have also seen these vary a few days
 or  week in either direction.  Have found it to be reassuring to tell mom
 what  is probably going on so she can go with the flow :-)  Once most moms
 have an explanation , they calm down and cope.  What do others believe?>>>>>

 I, too, find these growth spurts to be fairly predictable. Moms are very
 relieved to find out this is why baby is nursing almost constantly. >>

Why must we refer to them as growth spurts?  I used to believe in them -- not
sure I'm convinced the babies are growing more at those times.  Nor that
mom's milk supply increases exponentially those particular days and stays up.
 We all have "growth spurts"  (maybe as an adult, mine should be called a
waistline spurt) -- but everyone does it.  There are days where we all seem
to be constantly hungry -- in and out of the fridge or the cupboard all day
long -- and other days where the hunger pangs are virtually non-existent.
(Oh would that the latter prevail over the former!!).  Teens do this;
toddlers do this -- everyone does it.  Why should babies be any different?
And I've seen it happen at 10 days, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks...and
whenever it is beastly hot outside like it is today....

Just tell the moms that there will be days when the baby wants to breastfeed
a lot, and days where he doesn't breastfeed quite so often.  And it isn't
necessarily a sign that she is losing her milk or the baby will be
breastfeeding every hour ATC for the next 5 years....

Jan Barger, back home in HOT HOT HOT Chicago....leaving on Thursday for the
cooler climes (HAHAHAHAHA) of Scottsdale.