From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 19:29:38 PDT
Welcome to Lactnet, Linda!

I certainly agree with you that ineffective early bfing can be related to
insufficient milk.  That is why we have as hospital policy that any mothers
whose baby has not nursed well (whatever that means----it's our current
loophole) in 4 to 6 hours after birth should begin double pumping.  Being
fairly aggressive with breast stimulation / milk removal early on appears to
have a positive effect on subsequent milk supply.

Pardee Hinson, MPH, IBCLC