From:
Loraine Hamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2010 04:59:59 -0500
Hi I am a bit late coming into this thread but thought I will add my 2c.
The Myofunctional Research Co. website:
http://www.myoresearch.com/cms/index.php?english
shows very well how the action of the tongue shapes the jaw.
Have a look at the videos in the "Soft tissue dysfunction" section.

The tongue shapes the jaw and consequently also the
palate by exerting pressure every time we swallow. The shape of the jaw and palate will
depend on where this pressure is applied.

If the tongue's movement is impeded in some way the pressure will not
be applied in the appropriate area  and over time malocclusion and changes in
the shape of the palate can occur.

In a normal adult swallow the tongue tip puts pressure on the premaxilla area, a
little triangular area in the midline of the maxilla. The whole body of the tongue then
lifts and places pressure on the palate. So every time we swallow we continue
to shape the palate.

In babies it is a bit different but my assumption is that  pressure is exerted
 by the soft breast tissue in the same area and shapes it continuously by
pressure in that area, specifically during every swallow.
Babies start swallowing very early in gestation so by the time they are born a
tongue tie's impact can already be seen as a high narrow palate.

Thousands of movements shape the bone. We swallow saliva at least once every
two minutes, so only for saliva control we are already swallowing about 700 times
a day. That will increase dramatically when we eat and drink.

I may be wrong but can not see how exercises will have sufficient effect.
The best exercise will be to get the tongue to do the movements in the
 appropriate place e.g. by releasing a limiting tongue tie.
Then the baby/child will get appropriate "exercise" everytime he swallows.
The videos also show how small changes have an impact on the
dynamics by changing movements of the mandibula and pressures at the
temporal mandibular joint.

Loraine Hamm
SLT/IBCLC
New Zealand