From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:27:32 -0500
I do not understand why a mom who likes to use "natural" treatments would use a drug like diflucan!! And nystatin is utterly ineffective. I recommend probiotics for any baby who has thrush, although I make sure the mom uses a probiotic not grown on dairy and appropriate for an infant. For example, Lactobacillus acidophilus alone is not appropriate--infants have bifobacterium infantis in their guts. Die-off of the yeast can cause the stools to change odor and consistency for a period of time. Mom needs to be taking a probiotoc too, especially as she is now doing more damage to her gut with the diflucan. Too bad she did not just stick with the natural treatment. For her nipples and the baby's bottom, I always use coconut oil.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC