From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:49:04 -0900
Fellow Lactnetters, I turn to you with another SOS.

A friend of mine in Rochester NY, after many years of infertility, became
spontaneously pregnant. She learned of her pregnancy only in the 7th
month, so there was no question of doing amnio. Ultrasound showed a
healthy fetus. The baby is now about 2 weeks old, and the parents were
recently told that she has Mosaic Down's, no heart defect.

The mom writes me that her milk "has not come in", altho she pumps (I
don't know how often or with what) and uses SNS. She was told to check
thyroid levels. I advised her to contact University of Rochester Medical
School, thinking that Ruth Lawrence would have a lactation clinic.
My friend was told that they do research only. She was given the impression
by phone by someone who identified herself as an LC and Dr. Lawrence's
assistant that breastfeeding was hopeless in her case.

If I am stepping on anyone's toes here, I apologize. The mother was made
to feel that her situation is hopeless. She desperately wants to
breastfeed this wonderful gift of a baby, and is terribly depressed first
by the diagnosis of Mosaic Down's and now by the feeling that she cannot
breastfeed.

IMO, what is needed is a competent IBCLC to OBSERVE mom and baby and
COUNSEL. Hello, out there in Rochester! Anybody? **Please email me
privately and I'll get both parties together.

Thanks for help. These people are truly exceptional, by the way. After
years of trying to conceive, they adopted a blind baby (she was born
literally with no eyes) who turned out to have other disabilities in
addition. They moved back to the States from Israel in order to give this
daughter the help she needs, and this child is a great kid, 10 years old
I think, blossoming, loving, mischievous, wonderful. Now this miraculous
pregnancy, but not-quite-perfect outcome. So sad. I really hope that
somebody can help.

Please remember, via private email, not to list.
Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, Israel