From:
Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:28:23 -0400
On the topic of putting breastmilk on exterior parts of the body, ie skin,
conjunctiva.  I was wondering if anyone has experience using it on burns?
I have permission to post- my friend has a 13 month old who is still
nursing and he just tonight got a servere burn from boiling water left on
the counter.  Possibly 30% BSA.  They're in the ER on morphine and IV and
being transfered to a burn center.  We talked about nursing him extra for
nurishment and to aid in the healing process and I said it might be
beneficial to put directly on the burn, but not in the begining because
they may need to debride it, silvidine and special dressings.  Certainly,
burns have an infectious risk so, the anti-infectious properties would be
useful.  Are there other substances in breastmilk that would specifically
aid in the healing process? I'm just wondering, macrophages, hormones,
lactose, protein?  She was very interested in the idea and thought of
pumping to soak a gauze or something.  I appreciate the advice.
Amy Kotler MD
Dover Pediatrics
LLL Professional Breastfeeding Resource Center (opening soon!)