From:
Elayne Clubb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:00:59 -0400
I live in an isolated community in North Central Washington where there is one hospital and little
competition for the physicians or for hospital care.  I work as a Lactation Consultant in the Family
Birthing Center at the hospital--yes, we do offer this service--but it tooks years to get it started.  We have
been very popular with the mothers and are slowly gaining the support of some of the Physicians.  Sadly,
we often run across situations where a physician has managed a breastfeeding problem so poorly, that
breastfeeding is lost!  I  understand this is a common problem all over the world and have read several
studies that emphasize the lack of breastfeeding education in medical school.  These studies have also
verified that most physicians feel they know all they need to know about breastfeeding.

Because of this, I wrote a grant proposal and received $1500.00 from a local foundation.  My plan has two
parts:  1) provide references for the various clinics in the city:  Medications and Mothers Milk and Pocket
Guide to Breastfeeding and Human Lactation.  Members of the local Breastfeeding Coalition plan to
deliver and orient staff on their use. 2)  Provide a seminar for local Health Care Professionals on
breastfeeding.  I hope to attract more people by approaching it with inticing subjects, such as new
developments and current concerns. (I hope to include a part on supplementing, since this is a major
problem)   The hospital has agreed to provide a meeting place and inticing food.  We have thought to
schedule it adjacent to a required meeting for the physicians.  A noted Family Practice Physician who
teaches at the University of Washington Medical School, is IBCLC and is also very active in the State
Breastfeeding Coalition has agreed to speak.

My problems are:
1) I figured it would take about $2700.00 to do both parts of this plan.  I can probably only do one part
with $1500.00--Which would be the most effective in improving the management of breastfeeding
problems?
2) If we present the seminar, how do we get the physicians to come?  Any ideas???    Thanks!!