From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:20:49 -0400
1.Looked Ergoloid up in PDR.  It is for pts over 60  "who manifest signs
and symptoms of an idiopathic decline in mental capacity."  why is this mom
taking it?
2. Baclofen-  muscle relaxant and antispasmodic - soso review in 97 Hale.
Briggs 94 says it has been a concern in inhibiting prolactin in an animal
study.  Goes on to say measured amts in one woman after one dose - amts
were small 1% of mother's dose.  says OK by AAP
3.Nimotop(nimodipine) calcium channel blocker  used and after in cerebral
vascular accidents. Also useful in prophylaxsis of migraine.  97 Hale says
dose to infant clinically irrelevant.
4. Lactimal (lamotrigine) is for partial seizure disorders. 97 Hale says no
data avail on transfer into human milk, then does a theoretical  figure
that infant may get up to 2 mg day/500 ml of milk.  There are other safer
tried and true anti seizure meds.  Why use the newest one on the market?
 5. Elavil (amitriptyline) one of the standards for fibromyalgia. (Prozac
also rec).  Hale 97 says no untoward effects in several studies, infant
gets less than 1% of maternal dose.

Now I want to know what sort of problems does this lady have?  Is it simply
fibromyalgia or does she have  neuro problems.  Why the pharmacy of drugs
for a young (?) woman?  From long experience, I know drugs don't "cure"
fibromyalgia and sometimes use of drugs only complicates the whole picture.
 There is no quick  fix for fibro. Throwing meds at doesn't really help.
In our area there are support groups at local PT hospital.  There are some
really good books out there to read. Exercise helps in mental attitude,
energy level and flexibilty and pain.   Massage therapy helps, if done
right.  This lady needs to do some research and not reach for a pill.

Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome: A Survival Manual by D.
Starlanyl   and M.E. Copeland, 1996. New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
Oakland CA. Has an extensive list of resources in  back. BTW chapter on
meds - Elavil only med on list of drugs used for fibro that is on this
lady's list.  And it doesn't sound too great.  Only ref in book to BF says
you probably can't with fibro because you sleep is so messed up and meds
etc, blah, blah,  blah.  Of course we all  know your sleep isn't messed up
with a new baby when you bottle feed!

Sorry this is so long, got off on a rant there.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ