From:
Mellanie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:31:07 -0500
Kathleen Bruce writes:

>>>Dear Jan, and all, I am glad that Lactnet continues to be a voice and an
educational tool for those really interested in lactation issues.  I have
been working on Lactnet now since 1995.  That makes it 10 years of my life.
Wow. There are complaints that this list has changed from days of old. We
are not as small. We are not as intimate. People have requested that we make
it a private list, not accessible without application. Sometimes, I feel
that we have lost something when the list became so big. However, I am glad
to know it is valuable to some, and I
hope it continues to be so.<<<

I, for one, am incredibly greatful that I discovered Lactnet last year.
After 5 years of preparation, I am sitting for THE exam next month.   I have
learned more from Lactnet than from most of the huge stack of books sitting
on my desk.  Lactnet is an amazing resource for anyone open to learning.  I
have learned from some of the most amazing women (and an occasional man)
about not only the science of breastfeeding, but invaluable counseling
skills, lessons on ethics, professionalism, marketing and activism.  I have
been encouraged to think outside of the box, to not just accept things as
they are now but to work for something better.  I have received practical
help for individual situations that has been encouraging and informative,
never critical and heavy-handed.  I am thankful for all that the listmothers
do and for all of you who take the time to share your stories, offer support
and answer questions.  I fully intend to pass this exam and when I do, I
will be a better lactation consultant because of what I have learned here
and what I will continue to learn.  I see what those of you with years of
experience have been able to accomplish in the way of making change and
supporting mothers and I am inspired.  I hope to continue to grow and learn
each day so that I can someday be as wise, knowledgeable, compassionate, and
passionate as the ladies that I "see" here each day.  Thank you all!

Mellanie Sheppard
sitting the exam in 27 days
Arlington, TX USA