From:
Glenda Deahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 12:10:46 CST
I have read with interest the theories regarding possible causes for
delayed milk production.  I was particullary interested in Barbara
Wilson Clay's post as restated here:
- The mechanism of lactogenesis has more to do with delivery of
-the placenta and removal of prolactin inhibitory factor.  The pp
-hormonal   changes are what initially drives lactation.  After the
-onset of copious production somewhere around day 2-6, the mechanism
-which drives lactationfrom then on is frequency and thoroughness of
-milk removal.  So it isn't physical closeness with mom or even
-efficient removal of colostrum which brings in milk (altho I bet good
-early contact may speed it up.). That's why I see red flags when
-lactogenesis is delayed.

I had previously thought that it was a combination of pituitary
stimulus from sucking/compression _and_ the removal of
placenta/prolactin inhibiting factor.  Does early suckling and early
contact not play a role in stimulating lactation?

I seem to remember a post a few weeks back regarding a study of breast
milk production for moms of premature babies.  I don't recall the
digest date or author, but the gist of the study was that mom's who
begin pumping within 12 hours of birth have greater measurable milk
production at 2-3 months postpartum than moms who begin pumping after
24 hours.  Does anyone know a citation for this study?  If I am
remembering this post correctly, it would support the premise of early
stimulus of milk production.  Although it could just be applicable in
cases of prematurity.

To quote Michel Odent, "We are all physiologists ... each time we
touch a patient we are causing a cascade of biochemical events which
may effect outcomes."  I would just like a clearer understanding of
the interplay of physical and hormonal effects, so that I "may do no
harm."