From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:44:42 -0500
Dear all:

Our classes are comprised of fairly highly educated upper middle class couples.
Anywhere else in the country they would be considered RICH.  It took listening to a radio
talk show program on what constitutes being middle class in Manhattan to make me
realize that we don't even rate as middle class, let alone upper middle class by the
standards of this city because we don't own a car or a condo, let alone the required
"vacation home" and our child goes to public school.  I think the cutoff of "middle class
income" was in the range of $300,000 per year.

The couples are quite media savvy and used to visual stimuli.  So, I am probably going in
a different direction than many of you, based on the audience here.  They do read widely
and voraciously, mostly from internet websites.  This is not to say that they read long
articles --- most of the stuff on the internet is brief.  I am astounded at the new stuff
they will come up with and pose as questions off of some new internet scare.  I do find
they don't LISTEN very well.  The key points that we repeat in our classes (there are
three IBCLCs, one IBCLC, CLC and one CLC that teach) are sometimes completely missed.
So, I'm considering trying little five second miniclips with simple diagrams to reinforce
the key points.  I'm thinking of doing this like a DVD - where you can go to the menu and
pick out a topic and go through it and then go back to the main menu.  Thereby providing
a "visual map" of key points.  This also would allow flexibility of each instructor and each
group of participants in the class to drive the discussion in a nonlinear fashion.  I always
engage the class in questions and dive in when they pick up on a particular point, go back
out again and probe for other information that completes the basic picture.  So, my order
of presentation is entirely driven by the class.  Depending on the particular group, this
can differ from one session to another.

Now, there are always the auditory learners who don't process the visual, but I feel that
we are already providing the talking portion.

Perhaps this reflects my bias.  I do not learn well by listening --- the details blur and I
forget.  I do learn by constructing my own visual mental map of what was said.

By the way, I HATE Power Point and only use it because I don't know what happened to
Harvard Graphics.  The current version of Power point doesn't compare with the 1991
version of Harvard Graphics and what I really need is a nice mac friendly program to
move on to "Movie" format.

 Best, Susan Burger