Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 07:10:28 -0500
>The real reason I need help is I have a Mom on PAXIL and the Ped said to
>quite nursing and I dont have my lactation med book her, what can she take
>for an antidepressant. I enjoy Lactnet very much and hope someone can help.

New Study Shows Paxil Not Found in Breast-Fed Infants of Depressed
Mothers

ATLANTA, Feb. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- A study with Paxil(R) (paroxetine HCI,
SmithKline Beecham), published this month in the American Journal of
Psychiatry, showed that breast-fed infants of mothers taking the
antidepressant had no detectable traces of the medication in their blood
and
experienced no adverse events as reported by either the parents or
pediatricians.

Paxil is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) that is used to
treat a range of mood and anxiety disorders.  Paxil was recently approved
by
the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as the first and only drug
indicated to
treat social anxiety disorder.  It is also indicated for depression,
panic
disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder.

"Due to the increased occurrence of mood and anxiety disorders during
child-bearing years, it is imperative that we continue to research and
make
treatment options such as Paxil available for mothers who want the
opportunity and benefit of breast-feeding their children," said lead
clinical
investigator, Zachary N. Stowe, M.D., director of Emory University School
of
Medicine's Pregnancy and Postpartum Mood Disorders Program.  "This study
provides compelling data that Paxil is a viable treatment option for
mothers
who would like to continue breast-feeding."

Reassuring Data for Nursing Moms and their Infants

Results from this unique study provide the first detailed
characterization of
Paxil excretion into human breast milk as well as extensive information
on
infant exposure during breast-feeding.

Participants in the study included postpartum women treated with Paxil
(10-50
mg/day for >10 days) and their newborn infants.  Blood samples were
obtained
from all mothers within 2-5 hours after the daily Paxil dose and from the

infants within 1-5 hours after nursing.  The majority of the infants were

fully breast-fed with no supplemental nutrition.

The key finding was that all infant blood samples had no detectable
concentrations of the medication.  Furthermore, the definition for
detection
(<2 ng/ml) was more stringent than has been reported in studies of breast

milk and other antidepressants.  Although low Paxil concentrations were
found
in the breast milk (similar to or less than other antidepressants),
exposure
to the infant was minimal.

The parents involved in the study did not report any change in infant
behavior, disposition, sleep, activity, or bowel movements, and also
reported
that their pediatrician did not communicate any concerns in infant growth
or
development.

A Struggle to Balance the Need to Treat Depression and Desire to
Breast-feed

Breast milk provides a superior course of nutrients and protection
against
infection, as well as acute and chronic illnesses.  The American Academy
of
Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Dietetic Association support breast
milk as
the ideal form of nutrition over formula and milk.  Numerous studies have

also demonstrated that breast milk may prevent sudden infant death
syndrome,
type 1 diabetes mellitus and allergies.  The AAP recommends that
breast-feeding begin at birth and continue for at least 12 months.

Equally convincing, the data on untreated depression in mothers has
demonstrated deleterious effects on infant attachment (e.g., bonding) and

development.  These data reinforce the clear, unequivocal need to treat
depression when it affects mothers.

"It is important that the benefits of the medication for the depressed
mother, as well as the benefits of breast-feeding for the infant, be
considered by the practitioner and patient," said Dr. Stowe.  "The data
from
this study is reassuring to both physicians and these mothers who want to

breast-feed."

Mailto:[log in to unmask]