Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:27:18 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (80 lines)
Thank you, Laurie, the second citation below  is the one I found and linked in my reply earlier today.  It appears to be quite new.   Hopefully the original poster will print that out and share with the mother for her doctor, and hopefully it will be on point for that mother's situation. 

Thank you also for recommending possible search terms to help the original poster find information that may have been brought up here on Lactnet before on the issue.  Without knowing whether it was actually bone marrow transplantation  this child is scheduled for (which I suspect it was), I even still don't think a lay person would have thought to search on graft vs. host disease on a lactation list so that is REALLY helpful! This is one reason why having the medical professionals who have good understanding of oncology issues AND lactation is such a huge and wonderful help!  I have searched the archives before on chemo and didn't find anything but I will try again. 

I posted a generalized inquiry about  anyone having info regarding the use of human milk in connection with bone marrow transplantation (no identifying information about LACTNET or the individual situation mentioned)  on an e-mail list for parents of children with ALL.  I got four responses this afternoon from breastfeeding mothers on that list telling me that they had no idea about THAT, but they would love to learn more about breastfeeding and leukemia treatment (including the several issues I brought up in addition to the BMT issue, including risk to mothers through exposure to bodily fluids, etc) but have no idea where to turn.  Most were like me, mothers of nursing toddlers whose children were diagnosed after the first year of breastfeeding, and several mentioned that most "lay" searches of leukemia bring up a lot about how breastfeeding "prevents" childhood leukemia.  For these mothers that horse is already out of the barn, but they still have a lot of questions. 

I hope I can pull together some resources for these moms and others, but I will need guidance from folks who are trained to read the medical literature more than I am.  

Thanks to the folks who are contacting me off-list about this as well - I will reply privately but I am most grateful for the response! 

Thanks. 

Pamela Pilch, JD 

Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator 

LLL Leader, NGA 

Website update for my son with leukemia:  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jonathanpilch 

------------------------------ 

Date:    Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:20:23 -0500 
Subject: leukemia 

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/graft-vs-host_disease.jsp 

This is a very good article. if you read it all the way through, there are 
many times you could see where bf would be a good thing during this process 
(bone marrow transplantation). 

I do believe we have discussed this issue before in our archives. Perhaps if 
you search graft vs host disease or chemo or rejection in our archives you 
would find the info. 

Laurie Wheeler 

------------------------------ 

Date:    Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:23:54 -0500 
Subject: leukemia - more 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19124834 

here is another abstract about bf + bone marrow transplant 

Laurie Wheeler 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2