From:
Cindy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:11:40 -0600
I am dealing with an interesting situation and would like to know if others
have experienced something similar.

This mom is 5 months postpartum and has been lactating very
successfully.  Approximately one month ago, she noted a "lump"  at
approximately 12:00 on the upper margin of her breast and pursued
evaluation.  The mass is non-tender and has increased in size over the
past month. There is no redness.   Ultrasound did not identify anything in
particular.  The mass was needle aspirated last week, which produced
thin, blood-tinged fluid which was sent off to pathology.  Results are still
pending.

After the aspiration, the MD told this mom he suspected an abscess.
She is afebrile and completely asymptomatic, except for this unexplained
lump.  Still has plenty of milk, though notices a slightly delayed let-down
on the affected side.   It seems much more likely to be cystic in nature
rather than an abscess to me!  She is continuing to breastfeed and
waiting for results.

What do you think?

Cindy Anderson, CNS,MS,IBCLC
CON, UND