From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:41:57 +1000
Diane Weissinger wrote:
> What do other mammals do with their young?  They don't "breastfeed."  Do
> they nurse?  Suckle?  Something else?  In the US I think we'd say they
> nurse.  What about other English-speaking countries?  "Here's a picture of
> dog _____ing its puppies."

I think we'd say, here, "feeding" or "suckling" in the case of an animal.
"Nursing" sort of implies having arms to do it.  I can remember when - just
as our mothers told us "animals sweat, ladies perspire" - animals suckled
their young and human mothers breastfed.  As late as 1968 in Townsville, a
daunting midwife who was clearly anti-breastfeeding, spat at me the
question: "Do you *suckle* your babies?"  Obviously she thought it
animalian.
    Cheers,
          Virginia
           in sunny Brisbane, Queensland