From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:38:27 -0400
QUESTION:

        We are doing away, in our hospital, with the giving out of hand
breast pumps to  breastfeeding mothers. We will use disposable pump kits
for those mothers who must begin electric breastpumping while in
hospital.
My question regards what to do for flat and inverted nipples to aid in
pulling them out to help the baby feel and latch on?
        At one time we used 10, 20 and 30 gauge syringes filed down to
make smooth and pulled the nipples out that way. That worked quite well,
until the "powers that be" decided we can't use equipment in any other
way but the way it was meant to be used. Thus that program was nixed.
We can't afford to buy the nipple everters manufactured for that
purpose.
        What are other people doing in hospitals?
        Cheryl Muller RNC , IBCLC