Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 19:19:07 EDT
Winnie writes:

> They expect pain and are only thinking
>  about "how much" rather than "why".  Again, not a lot of detail,
>  just reassurance that it's not supposed to hurt.

My version of this, lately, is that breastfeeding is like riding a bicycle.
Riding a bike doesn't hurt, but my 7 year old has been full of bruises since
we took the training wheels off, because falling down -- what we might call
"almost riding a bicycle" -- does hurt, some of the time.   But already she
rides without pain about half the time, and she's confident that after just a
few more rides she'll get on the bike right every time, and she'll know it
because it'll feel good -- she won't be falling off any more.   Some people
learn to ride great first try, some people take a week, but pretty much
everyone who is healthy can learn to ride a bike, and once they know how to
do it it feels great.   So, any reason that your breasts should be very
different from your knees in this way?

This goes along with the thread about women needing as much confidence in
their female parts as in their unisex parts.

Elisheva