From:
Gail Macklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:00:32 -0500
I have permission to post this message from one of the anthropologists
from Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, IL. If anyone can help her out, she
would greatly appreciate it!
Gail Macklin

Gail Macklin RN BSN IBCLC CIMI
www.newmothernrewbaby.com

Hi Gail

I work with Marissa and she told me that you specialize in lactation.
I am writing a paper right now on how female chimpanzees in Gombe cope
with the energetic demands of pregancy and lactation.  It looks as if
the strategy adopted is rank-dependent; low ranking females adopt an
energy conservation strategy by traveling less (but eating lower
quality foods) while high ranking females adopt an energy accumulation
strategy by traveling more to get higher quality items.  I would argue
that subordinate females are making the best of a bad position - why
travel if you are not likely to get the good food when you arrive?

I would like to relate these results to the human literature.  I am up
to my eyeballs in articles but wanted to ask if you could recommend
any offhand that demonstrate an energy conservation strategy by
pregnant or lactating women.  For example, are there studies showing
that some women rest more when foods are limited???

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I don't have to tell you this, I am sure, but Marissa is a pleasure to
work with and speaks very highly of you.

Hope you are well,

Carson

Carson M. Murray, PhD
Lester E. Fisher Center for the Study and
Conservation of Apes
Lincoln Park Zoo
Chicago, IL