From:
Ann Conlon-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 15:44:20 EST
Oh dear, these came across the AOL Headlines this morning.  What to  do??
Ann Conlon-Smith, IBCLC

MOM GUIDE
Don't Listen to the 'Shoulds'

You should  breastfeed, no matter what.
Well, of course you "should"  breastfeed. For one thing, think of the bottles
you won't have to wash!  Seriously, we've all heard the reasons why breast is
best for the baby. What we  don't often hear is that nursing, for some women,
is not a preferable option.  For some, latch-on is excruciating. Others
develop breast inflammation. And  still others may not have a job that allows for
multiple pumping breaks. When it  comes to nourishing your newborn, do with
pride what works for you, and be  thankful you have options.

Amy Corbett
MOM GUIDE
Don't Listen to the 'Shoulds'

You should never use a  pacifier.
Rejecting this "should" may have actual medical  benefits: Studies show that,
from about 1 month of age to 6, pacifiers can  protect against SIDS. Medical
research aside, there's simply no  controlling whether your infant desperately
needs to suck or couldn't care  less. While we're not advocating pacifiers
(who needs another thing to  buy, clean, keep track of, and eventually do away
with, not to mention  elicit disapproval from old ladies on buses?), we're
saying that in those  chaotic early days, if you have to stopper the kid to get
out for a walk  -- or to get some sleep -- toss the guilt with the next dirty
diaper.

Ann  Conlon-Smith, IBCLC Triangle Lactation Consultants
_www.trianglelactation.com_ (http://www.trianglelactation.com/)