From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 14:20:13 -0700
I was alarmed by reaction to my earlier post – hope I
haven't been mistaken for a pump queen when nothing
could be further from the truth!  I specifically
labeled it “matching the right pump to the need”
because it is a pet peeve of mine that of the women
calling for pump information, most don’t need a pump
at all while some have already acquired the wrong pump
for their need & won’t budge.

Patricia points out cold calls about pumps are red
flags.  Absolutely!  My mantras include “You already
have all the equipment you need!” and “I’d hate to see
you put down an eager baby to pick up a pump.”

Patricia points out, “There is a new wave out there
that believes that pumping and feeding breastmilk from
a bottle is a whole lot easier than actually putting
the baby to breast…”  *Easier* being a euphemism in my
area for “less embarrassing.”  It makes me sad, too.
I am an active, some might say over-active, LLL Leader
and I encourage mothers to attend a meeting and bring
that issue up.  Then I let the moms at the meeting
take over.  And they do!

“it is actually illegal to sell a used pump that is
labeled for single user only”
I explain this all the time but after visiting Cindy's
site I've decided I haven't been aggressive enough.
Seeing it in writing is far more compelling.  Also,
the mother could share it with her partner who may
have “inspired” the garage sale attitude.  Cindy, do
we have permission to adapt or copy this statement to
give to moms?  The mothers I work with who need to
hear this are extremely low income (which is why it
comes up) and are unlikely to access your web site.

Thanks to all of you for the conscientious community
effort in addressing issues raised in this forum.
Until I began posting myself, I didn't fully
appreciate the effort made.  I find myself learning
more than lactation.

Susan Johnson  MFA, IBCLC