From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 17:29:10 -0400
I totally agree with Barb and others that the role of LC is quite different
than RN, but than I would like to refer to Barbs list of study requirements
which at the moment, are not included in the course of IBCLC study (some
are, but not all) But having background as an RT, OT, BS, etc. already
includes a lot of these requiremnts and therefore the hiring can include and
should include anyone with those qualifications if some silly nurses union
is not involved.

I'm really only  meant to say, that in a busy early discharge, prone
hospital, the IBCLC does not have time to learn on the job. A well qualified
and experienced IBCLC with an RN, would be easier to hire but so would any
other well qualified and experienced LC in other medical orientated
disciplnes. An RN. IBCLC without proper experience should also not be hired
if there is only one LC hired. I'll sign off now because I'm getting long
winded. But keep the dialogue going. It will  help me to recommend someone
new to my job when I burn out!

Attie Sandink RN. IBCLC. (Ontario, Where spring finally seems to have sprung)