From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 09:50:28 EDT
"IMHO giving a pump to every b/f mom leaving the hospital is telling her
what?  That every b/f mom needs or should be using a pump? and for what
reason?"

And here, with the opposing viewpoint . . .  ;-)

I'm an LC at one of those hospitals that give a manual breastpump out to every
mother who wants one (98%).  In view of all the cost-cutting going on, I'm
pleased that we're still doing this, since it is not a charge item.  At least
where I am I don't have to tell my b/f moms that they "need" a pump, they
already think so.  And unless they've been to the breastfeeding class, most of
them have already bought one--mostly the cheap, drug-store variety made by
bottle/ABM companies.  I would *much* rather send them home with a quality pump,
properly demonstrated, from one of the major companies than let them pick up a
junk pump.

And for what reason?  So that when they start those bottles (which virtually all
of them do) they have a better chance of putting breastmilk in them than ABM.
So that when they call in the middle the night--too sore to nurse, engorged,
baby won't latch on, whatever--we stand half a chance of getting the milk out of
her breasts and into the baby.  So that when they go back to work they can see
all the options for electric pumping if the manual pump takes too long, and not
automatically wean to ABM.

You've got to remember how many of these babies are going home in no shape to
nurse well.  Most of our mothers have had medication in labor, many have been
induced, babies may have head trauma, all have been poked and prodded (vit. K,
glucose checks, newborn screening, Hepatitis vaccine), 98% of the boys have been
circ'd--and all this in the first day of life!  We do send mothers home with
good breastfeeding info that explains how often babies are supposed to eat, how
to monitor output, and offer free weight checks at our 2x/week support group, so
*hopefully* mothers won't decide on the basis of one pumping that they don't
have enough milk.

IMO, with where we are with cultural expectations, a quality breastpump is more
likely to help than hinder continued breastfeeding.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC, LLLL for 13 years (currently on reserve status)