From:
Jan Cornfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:56:08 -0700
Patricia

Your comment about nursing sounding more intimate for you than
breastfeeding which seems technical is fascinating.. and one I'd not
thought about (I must have missed this last year if you discussed this
then). For me, breastfeeding and personally supplying the nourishment for
my babies seems intimate, and nursing is clinical. I would suggest that my
feelings about this might be cultural as well as personal. Have we made
breastfeeding technical ?  This is what's so interesting about an
international list with people not just with different backgrounds, but
different cultural environments.

Lactnetters might like to know that I heard Kathy Dettwyler on the national
ABC (government) radio station at lunchtime today, interviewed at the NMAA
conference. This would have given very widespread coverage right across
Australia. She was in fine form !

Sarah Danner, an old friend from ICEA days, comes to stay with me next week
after the Conference. I'll have to ask her about the use of 'nursing' in
the title of all her leaflets for prems etc..

Jan Cornfoot
Brisbane, Australia
Editor, Birth Issues