From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:35:55 EST
In a message dated 1/23/1 6:45:14 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Formula companies will only improve their products through investment in
R&D
so long as there is a strong market demand. If demand were to slow, so too
would R&D. In that case, formula companies would redouble their marketing
expenditures to re-ignite demand thereby feeding the R&D machine. >>

Yes!!!! Exactly. We keep saying we want the best for babies who aren't bf,
but the *only* way that will happen is if we keep the bf rates low enough to
make it worthwhile to the drug companies to sell AIM (or whatever we are
calling it). So, we can't have it both ways. In working to make bf the norm
,we will, by default destroy the drive for manufacturers to improve AIM. I
think we all need to be honest about this and move forward w/ our eyes wide
open.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA