Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 23:03:18 EDT
Dear Folks:
        Dr. Peter Hartmann spoke at the 1998 International Lactation
Conference in Orlando, Florida about fat synthesis in milk, and milk
synthesis and about his research in Australia,  where he gets  funding to
study breasts and human milk. That is where I heard him speak about finding
greater amounts of fat in the first milk of some women, and his thought was
that it was left over from the previous feed.
        Which, when you think about it, makes sense. Baby suckles, Mom has a
number of let-downs during the feed which increase fat content. Baby stops
when full. So where does the fat in the milk inside the breast go? Disappear?
 Crawl back up to the myeopeithelium and get in line again? Or hang around
waiting for the next time of release? Which can be in the first milk at the
next time baby suckles.
        We'll never know it all..and that is a blessing.  As long as we can
keep the mothers and babies together, we don't need to know much more.
Warmly, Nikki Lee
(who just finished watching a TV show about Joan of Arc. She was a powerful
woman, so of course she couldn't be allowed to live. 9 million women were
said to have been slaughtered during the Middle Ages: for being healers, for
being eccentric, for being individuals, for being. Have we come so far since
then? )