From:
Trudy Noort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 15:17:07 -0800
Elizabeth Steiner said:
>I would appreciate the titles and authors
>of your favorite lactation texts (professional and lay), so that I can
>enhance my knowledge and advise patients on which books may be useful for
>them.

As I do not have a particularly technical background in BF, the books I am
recommending are for the 'lay' (as in 'lay-chay'? ;-)) person.  You are
probably already familiar with them, but here goes:  As a League Leader I,
of course, recommend that classic text, "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding".
It speaks to not only the technical aspects of BF, but also to mothering
through BF.  It has also been recently updated.  I know many mothers who
have brought the book to the hospital with them during labour, and found it
an informative and reasurring source to help them get started with BF after
the birth, when they are often getting confused by a lot of conflicting
information from well-meaning nurses and visitors.

The second book is one I REALLY enjoyed, as I have an interest in
history...I like to know how we got where we are today.  "The Politics of
Breastfeeding", by Gabrielle Palmer, made everything fall into place for me,
not technically, but in terms of how and why our culture views BF the way it
does.  Not for everybody (you have to be ready for what this book says), but
a great read, and well-researched!

Hope this helps.  I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else's
'faves' are.

P.S.  Thanks for everybody's private emails re: my League member
experiencing scabbing and nipple pain while nursing her toddler.  Your
information and suggestions were useful...turns out it was latch!

Trudy Noort, ICCE, LLL Leader, doula and mother of 3
Maple Ridge, B.C. Canada