From:
"Cruz, Rachel (NICU)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:50:26 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Lactnet in that I've never posted before. I work as the IBCLC
in a level 3 NICU in NJ. I've had twin moms who are very successful with
developing a full milk supply for both babies pumping 8x/day. The most
important pieces of the equation are the early initiation of pumping
coupled with hand expression and the use of a hospital grade pump. I
worked with a mom of preterm twins who produces about 70 oz/day. This is
through use of a hospital grade pump. She was not able to fully meet the
needs of her first infants who was a singleton! Dr. Jane Morton's
research on early hand expression and massage with pumping is extremely
useful. I show her videos to moms I work with as well. Focus on lots of
kangaroo care and start breastfeeding as soon as possible. Breastfeeding
should begin when the infants are showing signs of cardiorespiratory
stability. We have started as early as 31 weeks. In Sweden, they have
started at 29 weeks. This will also help mom to have an abundant milk
supply.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html
<http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html>

Rachel Cruz, RN IBCLC