Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:19:20 -0400
Hello Lactnetters,

I have an interesting mom and baby and I'd like you're suggestions on this
one. I will be seeing mom for the first time tomorrow evening-- have only
had phone contact so far.

Here's the scoop. This mom had a reduction surgery and worked with another
LC in the early weeks of breastfeeding. Has *never* had a supply issue,
but baby has never really gone to the breast. Originally baby was
diagnosed as having a tongue thrust and 'bunching' the tongue up
against the roof of the mouth.

Mother has been pumping and bottlefeeding EBM exclusively with a
well-known wide-based nipple for nearly 4 months now, and her PIS is
wearing out. She is interested in getting baby back to the breast instead
of buying another pump. I'm thrilled to have her so enthusiastic, but not
sure how to go about getting this baby to take a human nipple!

Some thoughts I have had include:

Measures used for nursing strikes (i.e. warm baths, offering breast while
baby is sleepy, spinning -- has anyone used this for a baby as young as 4
months?)

Also, I was wondering if swicthing to breastmilk supplements offered ONLY
in a cup and no pacifiers is too extreme for a baby this age? I was going
on the idea that sucking should only be offered from the breast.

I have read about using the same bottle nipple baby is used to as a
'shield' and then cutting off preogressively more and more of the
silicone-- but I'm not sure this is practical-- can baby actually get a
good enough 'latch' with this method? What's the likelihood that mom will
end up with VERY sore nipples from such a trick? Would a regular nursing
shield perhaps be in order here (I've never used one for any reason so
far) perhaps doing the same-- cutting off a bit at a time?

Any and all suggestions or even any other success stories would be so
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Heidi Streufert
Gaithersburg, MD