Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:15:42 -0400
I received the following ad in a packet distributed to new mothers by Ross
Laboratories-- I have scanned it and can put it on the web if anyone is
interested, but here is the wording:

-------------------------------

Food for Throught

[image of mother holding infant]

<Large Text>Research shows, children fed Similac(r) With Iron during their
1st year had IQ scores at 3 years of age similar to those of children who
had been breastfed.*

<Smaller text>Good nutrition gives your baby the opportunity to grow and
develop to the best of his ability. And Similac gives you the assurance
your baby's getting excellent nutrition.  We have the scores to prove it.

------------------------------------

I assumed that the "*" would give a research citation, but instead it says
(in extremely small type, along the side of the photo) "As measured at 39
months."

I am extremely curious to know what study they are using to make this
claim.  Were the infants in the study who were "breastfed" nursed for 6
weeks? 1 year? Longer? Was it exclusive breastfeeding?  Were the ABM
babies fed nothing but Similac With Iron? How did they control for other
confounding variables?

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd love to read the actual study.

Thanks in advance,

Heidi Murphy
Gaithersburg, MD