From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:26:20 -0400
I don't work in a hospital, so give me a big "DUH" when you
explain this one to me :-)   Why would anesthesiologists
care if women were choosing not to have epidurals? I mean,
in our profession we hope that women won't need our
services. There will always be a need for anesthesiologists at
the hospital. If nary another woman received an epidural it
wouldn't close down their department, would it? Shouldn't
they be celebrating a decrease in the rate of epidurals?

I can understand promoting a course of action if you think it
is in the patient's best interest--is this where their concern
comes from? Its not like anyone has a congenital epidural
deficiency or anything... Or, are these folks reacting to
territorial concerns, perhaps worried that you are making
them look bad (e.g., suggesting they minimize the potential
effects of epidurals)?

Another question, what do anesthesiologists say to defend
epidural use? Do they deny reality, or do they rationalize the
outcomes.

Trying to understand where "they" are coming from.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC