Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:09:09 -0700
Ok, without even going to your site (which I will in a minute) I can tell
you that you are right in your assessments!  From personal experience, I
have had one epidural birth and one natural birth.  The epidural birth was
my first and I will NEVER put myself or my children through that again.  My
son took DAYS to latch on, my milk didn't come in for 5 days, I had to
supplement with formula... and I couldn't walk for almost 6 hours after the
drip stopped!  I do have an article somewhere, I will try to find it that
states children born to moms using an epidural usually don't recover fully
until about one year!  Their motor skills are not as refined as children
born drug free.  Compare that to my second birth... my second son latched on
and nursed in the delivery room for more than 30 minutes, I never had sore
nipples with him, formula has never crossed his lips.  I intend to repeat
that this time (if she ever decides to come!).

While I have a LOT of respect for the medical community as a whole,
sometimes I feel like they get defensive over what they do.  Of course an
L&D anesthesiologist wouldn't have a job if all the women in the world went
into birth totally natural now would they??  While an epidural in generally
safe, I would opt for it in an appendectomy, not child birth!  Unless of
course I was having a c-section.  Also, just like any drug there can be long
lasting effects of the epidural on the patient, a client of mine still has a
numb spot on her hip 5 years after her son was born!

Cheers to you!  I would be boiling mad too!

Melisa