From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:25:16 -0500
Original message:  I got a call today from the mom of a breastfeeding 2
month old girl.
> > Everything has been goin very well with the BF....until the last week.
> She  describes a generalized feeling of "burning, sharp-twinges, pins and
> needles" after BF on one side only.  This has been going on for the last
week.  She
 says it happens after every BF, on the left breast only, as "the breast
refills."

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  There is no nipple pain on either
side, so that is what really had me questioning whether yeast could be the
cause.  Also, there is no pain during BF, only after "as the breast
refills" and only in one breast.  I'm a little reluctant to suggest systemic
diflucan without some better indication that it is thrush.  I'll check on
who her OB doctor is and
see if it is someone I have good rapport with.  Maybe I can discuss it with
the doc.

Also, she says that she has been pumping regularly for about a month now,
and she feels the "burning when the breast refills" after pumping, too,
although it is not quite as bad as after BF.  She is only able to pump one
ounce or less from the affected side, while she usually pumps 4-7 ounces
from the other breast.

Maybe ductal spasms, but would they just be starting in the last week?  The
baby is 2 months old and everything was going well until then.

I can suggest the calcium and magnesium supplements and see what she says.
Any other thoughts based on this additional information?

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York