From:
Mari Douma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:11:23 -0500
Hello everyone. In sheep, the lambs MUST get the colostrum within the first
day of life in order to survive (same reasoning as for horses). Some
shepards will even vaccinate a cow with sheep vaccine (tetanus, etc.) in
late pregnancy in order to collect some of the cow's colostrum (big
quantities) in case the sheep-mom is unable to provide colostrum. Yes, sheep
can have udder-feeding problems! Been there, done that last spring! And you
think it can be difficult to work with human moms...   There is
milk-replacer for lambs (hmm, maybe this is what we should call
*formula*...) but no-one would ever expect it to replace the colostrum.

BTW, we have a new person in our family. Aidan Scott Grady was born 5 weeks
ago (7 lb 1 oz at 38 1/2 wk). No meds, nice delivery with dad, doula,
friends, and 3 1/2 y/o sister present and all supporting. He went right on
my tummy/chest and stayed there for about 2 hours. Starting nursing within a
1/2 h and continued for about 1 1/2 hr. Slept in bed with me in the hospital
(poor dad got the uncomfortable chair). I actually enjoyed my hospital stay.
Nice and clean there without any work on my part. No animals to take care of
(poor dad had to go home twice each day for this). Lots of really nice and
friendly nurses around to talk with and take care of me. Yep, it was a good
stay. I think that since I have spent a lot of time working in the hospital,
the setting is one in which I was comfortable and, unfortunately, very
familiar with. Being a doctor myself, I was probably given more control over
my situation than others might have had. Aidan still had/has problems with
opening wide and latch, but is growing like a weed despite this!!! He had
lots of cranial-sacral work from our family doc the first week which helped
TONS. LC in the hospital was great as was the one who I finally called for a
home visit at 3 weeks of age. Tandem nursing is great-- no need for a pump
when I feel really full! All in all, everything has been wonderful and a
joy. Aidan has really taught me that all babies are different! I really
wanted to chime in on some threads over the last couple weeks but I just
couldn't get around to it-- I think I've rambled on long enough now to make
up for it, though :)

Glad to be back, Mari Douma, DO         Lansing, MI