From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 02:22:42 -0500
Alexandra -

Any baby coping with oversupply is entitled to be fussy about it, but 4
month olds especially.  I know 2 women who had to nurse almost exclusively
lying down when their babies were 4 months old, and even that was iffy.
They were coping with supplies that would shoot back up at the drop of a
hat, and for a month or two they found lying down was the only position
their babies would tolerate.  Both babies are toddlers now, and have been
nursing happily for many months.

I remember a LLL meeting to which a first-timer came, saying that her 4
month old had started "nursing funny".  Another newcomer's eyes widened,
and she said, "*My* baby's nursing funny too!"  And then another chimed in
with the same thing.  All 3 babies were 4 months old.

We dubbed it "the four month fussies" and offered suggestions.  Two of the
mothers came again a couple months later.  When we asked how the funny
nursing was going, they weren't sure what we were talking about.

Amazing how common it is.  I know others here will offer concrete
suggestions; just wanted to point out that it's really frequent and
especially likely when mom is a fire hose.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY