From:
Stephen David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 08:47:57 +0930
My third son was 10lb born and happily breastfed for the next 9 months
exclusively, despite having plenty of 'role models' for other foods. He was
always in the top percentiles for height and weight and is still there at 8
years old. He simply refused any other foods until around 9 1/2 months. Of
course had he been my first child maybe I would have been very concerned,
however I was more relaxed, figured he was happy and healthy so I let him
set the pace. He weaned at 12 months when I fell pregnant with his younger
sister, then breastfed again from 14months until his sister was born and
about twice afterward ("yuk, baby milk now").
 These things often become a "crisis" when the mother can no longer take
the pressure from others to force the child to take other foods. Up until 6
months, people are accepting of a breastfed baby's needs, after that, the
pressures on mothers to wean become more pronounced. In a society that
glorifies independence and 'advanced behaviours', extended breastfeeding is
seen as 'baby behaviour'. The fact that the child may be walking, talking
(sometimes too clearly..."milk mum..NOW!") and is confident and happy will
be overlooked if others consider breastfeeding 'inappropriate for the
age..' So, mum finally gets to the end of her rope and starts asking
questions of HPs and friends, and gets conflicting advice and tries it all
and gets upset and confused. Isn't this why WE are here? To try and teach,
a few at a time and hope that the knowledge will snowball and mothers will
trust their instincts again. After all, mums usually know when their baby
is unwell or if there is something wrong.
JMHO, thanks,
Querida

Querida David
Alyangula, NT. Australia