From:
Amy West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:47:48 -0500
It's one thing to assess risks and make decisions for our own children; it's
another for those risks to be considered for a donor milk recipient.  So, I
don't think this is saying we need to employ these (or other, similar)
standards to feed our own babies.

We can generalize based on well-conducted research, but we can't generalize
based on our own personal experiences....

We have to remember that when we minimize/discount/invalidate real risks
based on our own experiences, we're essentially doing the same thing as
parents who point to their perfectly healthy formula-fed children to
invalidate the risks of formula feeding (or the benefits of breastfeeding,
however you'd like to say it).  When we consider how to handle this, we
can't allow for any double-standards.

Amy West, CLC