Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:15:34 +0000
Rachel, I so agree with you...this video does not show the way hand
expressing is normally taught in the UK. An effectively
hand-expressing mother does not get teensy tiny drips, and it would
be no use holding a teensy tiny vial to catch it either....the first
*time*, maybe, she might hold a spoon underneath, but after, she'd
want a better receptacle than that.

I was also perturbed to hear it implied that this would be a routine
intervention, not just for mothers who were separated from their
babies, but any mother and baby.

And HANDS OFF please! Let mothers do this for themselves, holding the
receptacle for themselves, and finding the exact spots for the best
yield themselves, by feel.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK