Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 14:56:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Well I hope I've made some progress. I made some phone calls and have found a dentist in my daughter's area who seems to be breastfeeding baby friendly (used by one of the LLL Leaders in the area).  I asked the Leader about the group my daughter had gone and if they'd heard good reports about them since the holistic dentist in the area refers to them.  Her response was, "not from breastfeeding mothers."  So apparently, dentist shopping is about as critical as OB/pediatrician shopping.

I just wish there were some way that a list of breastfeeding friendly/natural birth friendly doctors, dentists, etc. could get disseminated so that moms could avoid the sort of trauma that my daughter went through this morning.  I certainly know moms who've had similar kinds of experiences with pediatricians, we did ourselves one time when our own ped was in the hospital and my son had to be seen by someone else, and my own experience with my first obstetrician fell into the same category.  I understand the unwillingness of providers to be critical of their colleagues, but the fact is that there are world's of difference between providers especially when it comes to normal birth and breastfeeding.

What's really discouraging here is that the dentist my daughter saw was one whom in my phoning around this morning got recommended by the  office of the holistic dentist in the area (who doesn't treat babies).  I hadn't known the name of the dentist she had seen, so I called that office and asked whether the dentist was willing to work with nursing toddlers and not expected them to be weaned.  They said he was perfectly willing to work with nursing toddlers.  So you can't even trust what the dentist's office tells you over the phone.  How discouraging is that!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2