From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:27:43 GMT
Hi all
Had a call today. A bf 2 wk old who developed a viral upper respiratory
infection at 1.5 wks old (2 yo sib and father had it too) and became fairly
ill. He's not bf well but is for short periods. Mother rented double pump 2
days after illness (spent 2 days at doctors offices and hospitals) and is
trying to maintain supply (today is 5 days on pump).

Baby now doing a bit better but mom very worried about her supply. She says
he is just not nursing like a healthy baby yet and her supply is suffering.
She decided to start taking fenugreek on her own, says her book says to take
3 caps tid. Baby is being followed closely by pedi. Wants to know what else
can she do to build her supply back and afraid she will never get a good
supply back. So bad this happened at such an early stage.

My best suggestion to her was to get a helper so that she could go to bed
with the baby. Husband already took several days off right at the birth. Mom
had to go out today to get a saline nebulizer for treatments for the baby,
taking the 2 yo with her. She said her husband could get it after work but
she needed to give a treatment now. I wished I could have left work and go
get it for her. She thought maybe she could call a friend to help. Mother
very tired and disappointed her early weeks went like this. Any other
suggestions? I felt it not really appropriate to start a prescription
galactagogue because it seemed baby was starting recovery.
If possible, email privately becoz I may not get to read lactnet next 2
days. Thanks.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]