From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2010 00:48:36 -0400
Sometimes we need to hear good stories, just to restore our faith in human
nature. I would like to share this story about my daughter in law,
Elizabeth.

When Eliz became pregnant with Z, she told me, very sadly, that she had had
breast reduction surgery as a teenager and her doc had said she would never
be able to nurse a baby. I was able to assure her that there was no way of
knowing that until after her baby was born, that she might be able to
produce SOME milk, and even if she was never able to transfer any milk, she
could still nurture a baby at her breast using a supplemental system. I gave
her lots of info, gave her a copy of Diana West's book and told her about
her website.

When Z was born, Eliz nursed him 17 times during his first 24 hours. She
kept records of input and output, and had a stock of domperidone ready to
boost her supply if needed. We all panicked a bit when baby Z did not poop
after day #2. I ran out to rent her a hospital grade pump. She got an ounce
or two after each nursing, and he was peeing copiously, so we know she HAD
milk and it was able to come out (no blocked ducts.) On day #5 there was
still no poop so she took him to the ped's office. She undressed him, put
him on their scale, and he pooped EVERYWHERE. Really, he exploded as soon as
she removed his diaper. The pump went back 2 days later.

After that, her only problem was an oversupply. Z continued to nurse through
her next pregnancy, tandem nursed with baby E. and weaned when he was 5 yrs
old. A few moments ago I received this email from her.

>Ephraim has weaned. He says so.
He was still nursing just before sleep up until last week, when they went
into the hospital. (Both Z and E had their tonsils out) I nursed him a
little bit overnight while we were there, but I think the pain of sucking
tied with the comfort of the nipple for him. He was kind of off and on about
the bedtime nursing after we got home, but I made sure it wasn't more than
48 hours between session (which had worked for me before in keeping a
supply). Last night he said there wasn't any ba (milk) at all coming out,
but
I had him try for a decent amount of time anyway in hopes of stimulating
something. Tonight he didn't even want to try; he says my
ba is too sweet. When I asked him if he was sure, because there wouldn't be
any more ba ever, he said he was sure.
Ah well. 4.5 years isn't bad. <

I think it was bloody marvelous!
Well done, Eliz!

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC
Breastfeeding Matters in the Capital Region
www.NormaRitter.com

Join us on Facebook for the latest birthing and breastfeeding news and
views:
http://tinyurl.com/BMCRonFB