From:
Debby Menders RNC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:46:33 -0400
Hello Lactnetters!
I am a RNC in a Level 3 NICU.  I have been lurking on here for about 5 months
and I have learned so much from all of the experts.  I am also the
chairperson for the NICU Breastfeeding Support and Education Committee.  This
committee has worked very hard over the last 5 years to educate our staff and
improve the breastfeeding support and success of our NICU Mothers.  One of
largest obstacles has proven to be one of our Neonatologists and the Medical
Director of our NICU.  I have been so angry for the last two days over an
incident that occurred in our unit I decided to post the experience and would
like to hear any recommendations from the experts.  The incident occurred
during the morning rounds with the Neo. (Neonatologist) and 5 Pediatric
Residents (unfortunately their first experience in the NICU).   The Neo.
started discussing Breast milk, breast feeding , etc., and told the Residents
to order cultures on the breast milk of any baby receiving it.  I asked his
rationale for this decision and he started lecturing about the "compromised
immune system of the preterm infant....possibility of contamination of ebm,
and possible Beta Strep in the ebm".  I then explained about the great immune
properties provided by ebm and the Neo. said..."the immune properties of ebm
are not dependable.....maybe not enough...and baby may become sick from the
ebm".  He continued to loudly rant and rave about all the possible harm the
ebm could cause the preterm infant.  I continued to explain about immune
properties...better digested...etc.  He preceded to lecture to Residents
about the "lactation lunatics" ....including me, and how crazy our ideas
were.  The conversation preceded down hill rapidly.....He asked if I believed
in supplementation of full term infants until Mother's milk "came in"... I
replied that Mother's have milk from the beginning....The Neo. said "oh
yes....colostrum...God's way of correcting his mistake of not giving Mom's
milk to start with".  The Neo explained to the Residents that the "lactation
lunatics" would prefer the baby to starve and become dehydrated before
supplementing.  He then asked why I was against supplementation....I talked
about Baby's initial fluid needs could be met by the colostrum etc, and
mentioned "nipple confusion".  The Nipple confusion put him over the
edge....ranted and raved that there was no such thing .....this was a term
the lactation lunatics had devised to frighten Mother's out of offering
bottles.  I soon realized I was fighting a loosing battle...He told the
Residents how often He had to "rip these breastfed infants from the jaws of
death because they were not being supplemented",  I told him I would bring
Research Articles to support my feelings and he said he had seen the Research
and it was "faulty".  He ended this scenario saying how much he supported
breastfeeding and it was best for the baby in "controlled situations".  I
feel so discouarage and at a loss to know how to undo the damage he has done.
 Nursing staff and Ped. Residents all witnessed this scene and I am sure many
will buy into his way of thinking.  If anyone has any advice  short of hiring
a hit man...please let me know.  TIA!
Debby Menders RNC
NICU
Women and Children's Hospital