From:
Dennis Ferrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 14:37:43 -0500
Linda wrote recently re her bad experience of  the above topic and =
Dr.Jon A. also sent a piece from the Lutheran in support of BF at
church...I think this topic of nursing in public is as important as =
discussing return to work options,childcare,positioning ,medications =
during lactation By The Lactation Consultant/HCP on any consult.

I work with our church's nondenominational MOPs group(A national =
affiliation of Mothers of Preschoolers) and  I feel i'm a model for the
other moms.So far other moms in the group are nursing longer than they =
had originally stated they had planned to and I try to encourage them by =
positive remarks re bf . I openly,but discreetly and not with my shirt =
over my head,nurse 2.5yr old Alan at these meetings in front of other =
toddlers I am caring for.....not directly in their faces,mind you,but =
over to one side of our cubicle.

I think change is a slow process but someone needs to break the mold,so =
to speak,gently and positively.

To Linda,come back to church and use your experience in helping other =
families get thru the early years which are difficult for any
family who has young kids,no matter how they're fed.Churches aren't =
toddler or baby friendly often and it's up to us to help" convert"   =20
them. While I am not in favor of nurseries at church,I think a nearby =
room for kids is essential because kids just don't "SIT STILL' for long =
in any environment.A church co-op works well if you have an extra room =
nearby the service area.

Denise Ferrell,IBCLC
"Most worthwhile things in this life require a certain degree of effort"