From:
"A. Bon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:27:10 +0100
Kathleen Sheridan Bellis wrote:
<<<Transgenic animals are being developed to produce human proteins that are
secreted in milk, but not (that I am aware of) to make milk for general
human consumption.  In effect, the animal becomes a factory to make a human
medication.   >>>

yes, that's how it is presented, eg in the press and in the research funding
requests. However sometimes other motives leak through. Eg, a couple oi
years ago it was found out that a Dutch research project with transgen cows
(the cows produced milk with human lactoferrin) was secretly funded by the
formula producer Nutricia. It was a media scandal, that caused a lot of
protest.However, about a year later I read articles in the papers, in which
this goal was assumed and presented as normal.

Annelies Bon
Netherlands