From:
"Jan L. Aken" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 19:26:06 EDT
Hi Lactnetters,
 I guess  don't see all the fuss about nipple shield. First of all I never cut
the M___
silicone shield because we never use them for very long ( maybe 4-8 days) I
always tell the mother, the first time I give her the shield that it may
decrease her milk supply with long continued use and from the first time using
the shield, we are working toward weaning  from the shield. I use the shields
very  often in my practice. We had 86%  of our mothers leave ther hospital
breastfeeding in August with 82% still breast feeding 3 weeks later. I know that
some of these mothers were successful
breastfeeding because we used the shield. So if I can use a tool that will help
a baby latch and the mother breastfeed, I am happy.
Jan AkenRN IBCLC