From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 19:04:22 -0800
Heather wrote this (partly in jest) about all the reasons to use
specialty formulas thought up by the formula companies:
".....the teeth one might be a goer - ' now your little one has his
beautiful pearly-whites, keep 'em that way with new calcium-enriched
Calci-lac!"

So I have in my hand a pamphlet which I picked up while perusing the
formula displays at the local pharmacy.

"Introducing the next logical step for older babies 6 to 18 months.
Similac Advance Step 2 is designed to be close to breast milk and
provides an excellent source of calcium to help your baby build strong
bones and teeth on the way to being an active toddler. Older babies need
more calcium than infants, as well as the appropriate levels of protein
and fat during weaning and beyond. Similac Advance Step 2 offers the
benefits of Similac Advance to parents and their babies, with 50% more
calcium! And it is well tolerated and easy to digest."

"Similac Advance Step 2 is a new follow-on formula designed to be close
to breast milk. And it's a comforting way of letting your baby know that
you recognize he or she is growing up and ready for a different "older
baby" formula without resorting to cow's milk before the time is right.
Similac Advance Step 2 helps meet your older baby's increased
requirements for calcium, with fewer bottles than Similac Advance."

So what happens when they get to Similac Advance Step 84?

Donna Hansen
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada
(where we just had the BFHI Canadian launch and it was so cool to be
there and hear Marsha Walker talk and be among all these people who
thought bf was normal and good and right instead of out in the real
world)