From:
Linda Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:27:41 -0600
I just received a call this am from a pediatrician who co-authored with me
an editorial for our local paper.  We took the stand that vit D
supplementation was not necessary for every breastfed baby; only for babies
of African American ethnicity who receive little exposure to the sun.  We
also discussed nutritional prevention and natural sunlight.  She called this
am as she was reading an article written by Dr. Baker in a pediatric
newsletter.  Dr. Baker is recommending Vit D supplementation for all bf
babies.

I searched the archives, and found a summary by Dr. Cara from the 2000 AAP
meeting on Vit D and rickets (thanks to Nicki Lee).  This pediatrician is
wanting my opinion on this, as apparently Dr. Baker did not recommend sun
exposure.

Am I the only one confused on this issue???  Apparently the AAP has a
statement forthcoming.  I still feel, from an epidemiological viewpoint,
that routine supplementation to ALL bf babies is over zealous.  I would
appreciate any comments.  I know this has been discussed on the list, so you
can contact me privately if you wish.  Thank you in advance, and Happy New
Year!

Linda J. Tandy, MSN, RN, IBCLC
Cedar Rapids, Iowa