From:
Lara Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:43:38 +0800
On Saturday, Apr 26, 2003, at 05:00 Australia/Perth, Lynn Shea wrote:

> Fellow Lactnetters often comment on the effectiveness of hand
> expression vs.
> other methods of milk removal. Many, such as Pam, feel strongly about
> the
> benefits.   My own experience is a little different. I used hand
> expression
> routinely every am, once my babies were taking cereal, to mix with it.
> I did
> this not because it was the most effective means of milk removal but
> because
> it was the easiest ie. no cleanup. Despite many months of practicing
> and
> (hopefully) perfecting the technique, I never was able to get much,
> really
> just enough to mix and occassionally not even enough for that.

Another personal perspective: I'm reasonably competent at hand
expression, but it drives me crazy. Having to concentrate on expressing
raises my stress levels and seems to suppress my milk ejection reflex.
(leaving aside the bad thumbs for a moment). Double pumping, hands
free, means I can write email, tend to my babe, etc while pumping
instead of counting the minutes and the mls. Combining handsfree double
pumping with intermittent breast compression/massage - I think this
gives the best of both worlds.

Volume-wise, a single datapoint:
* hand expressing last weekend: 50 ml in twelve minutes before having
to stop with sore thumb joints and frustration
* double pumping with highest quality hospital grade pump available :
just now, 550 ml in thirty minutes

I think every mother should be taught hand expression and encouraged to
practise it regularly, as it is the only form of expression always
available in an emergency. But for routine use? Not me.

Lara
family doc in Perth, Western Australia
EPing for Luke, six months and sixteen days