Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 23:59:31 EST
Denise, good for you for reminding the AMA to emphasize the normal.

On the other hand, sometimes emphasizing how rare the abnormal is can itself
be reassuring.   I know that my husband never believed me when I told him
that bf was ALWAYS better for ALL babies.  But when I came back to him and
confessed that actually, one baby in 60,000 has galactosemia and shouldn't bf
after all, he was paradoxically persuaded that 59,999 out of 60,000 really
was pretty close to universal.

Elisheva, musing about reverse psychology in NYC