From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:55:17 +0000
I agree showing the AAP policy is a good idea, however, the doc and the
nutritionist may believe that the milk is 'weak' or 'deficient' in some way.
Therefore, it would be good to have another ref, perhaps the new Ruth
Lawrence text, doesn't it have a section on premies. I find her text carries
alot of weight.
One thing I would suggest is for the parents to find out about their rights
and about the hospital policy. Usually the hospital has some policy or
mission or philosophy statement about participating in one's care, being
able to discuss alternate treatments, etc.
The parents should be as congenial as they possibly can, trying to believe
that the staff have the infant's best interest in mind (even though they
seem ignorant about bf), and try not to be adversarial if they can. It is
unfortunate that the staff have such power and can make things very
difficult for them. I think if they present their position tactfully they
will be able to participate more in the infant's care and do more bf.
Kangaroo care research would also be helpful and they should ask for as much
kangaroo time as possible.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA