From:
The Kitts Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:19:15 -0400
Hi,
I hesitated to post this since I didn't see the original post.  If my
situation doesn't apply please pardon
me. :-)

Despite exclusive breastfeeding my periods returned at 3 months postpartum.
I was very disappointed.  Anyway, at around six months postpartum I began to
spot for a week before actually beginning my "real" period.  Twelve days out
of the month was very frustrating.  I talked to my ob about it and he said
it was due to breastfeeding Molly.  The oxytocin was causing my uterus to
clamp down and cause some spotting.  He did not recommend weaning, but did
wonder how much longer I was going to do "that."

This went on for about  two years.  I encountered a midwife that believed in
the value of supplements.  She said in her experience mothers that spotted
before their periods had low progesterone.  She recommended supplementing
with 9 b-complex tablets and starting with 200 iu of natural vitamin E and
increasing to 1200 to 1600 iu vitamin E to help my body make the extra
progesterone it needed.  Well, the first month I added 3 b-complex and 800
iu vitamin E per day to my diet.  That month my spotting stopped and has not
returned.  I have no referenced information to support this, but it did work
for me.

On a side note she also recommends 15 mg extra zinc to fight off
premenstrual zits.  That worked as well. ;-)  I continue to take my
supplements.

Monique Kitts
mother to Molly 6.5 years and Andrew and Logan 3.5 year old fraternal twins
(still breastfeeding)
Ringgold, GA